K-ARTIST:Re: Comments from a svg guru

Vadim Plessky lucy-ples at mtu-net.ru
Thu Oct 31 11:12:37 GMT 2002

On Thursday 31 October 2002 1:47 pm, Zeljko Vukman wrote:
|  On Thursday 31 October 2002 10:41 am, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  > I fully agree that SVG should be considered *key technology* in KDE, and
|  > not only in KDE but in other Open-Source projects.
|  > So, in my opinion, SVG should be foundation of any Linux (UNIX) desktop,
|  > and 'libsvg' (let's suppose that we have one unified SVG
|  > renderer/library) should be at the same level as libpng, libtiff,
|  > libmng.
|  > It should be installed (and used) on all Desktop Linux systems.
|  > Current variety of often incompatible SVG renderer heavily hurts
|  > progress with SVG adoption.
|  >
|  > ***
|  > As about such specific application for SVG as SVG icons.
|  > I think Desktop users would greatly benefit from SVG icons, as:
|  > a) it saves disk space (modern icon theme can easily consume 10MB of
|  > disk space)
|  > b) provides "new touch" to the images
|  > Legacy bitmap icons, while can be very interesting & unique, often have
|  > *coarse* look & feel.
|  > c)  it's posisble to *theme* icon themes, via external CSS stylesheet
|  > for SVG (so, you can make 15 themes from just one, supposing that you
|  > have well-written SVG with CSS styling)
|  >
|  > I also pleased to announce "alpha" release of BlueSphere SVG Icon theme.
|  > You can download it from here:
|  > http://freetype.newmail.ru/svg/BlueSphere-0.1.zip
|  >
|  > Vadim
|
|  Can't be opened by Karbon,

That's expected behavior.

| and opened in Sodipodi they are corrupted.

I think your copy of Sodipodi is old.
Get Sodipodi 0.27 (version before 0.27 do not have support for radial
gradients)

Anyway, I managed to upload screenshot:
http://freetype.newmail.ru/svg/BlueSphere-48x48.png

And Forward icon rendered "as is" by librsvg2 (rsvg_display)
http://freetype.newmail.ru/svg/forward-rsvg.png

Discuss :-)

P.S. you may want to check archives for <koffice-devel> mailing list,
thread is named "Vector format/metafile for KOffice (Re: [Karbon14] misc)"

P.P.S. you can check those examples with Adobe SVG plugin.
I know it's not very good to recommend closed-source software, but here it
just works.

|  regards,
|
|  antialias

Cheers,