Research project on Open Source projects (not subscribed to the list)

Alessandro Rizzolli ale_rizzo at libero.it
Sun Oct 13 13:18:58 BST 2002

Hi!
My name is Alessandro Rizzolli and I am a student at the University of
Trento, Italy. Actually I am working on a research project concerning Open
Source projects, in particular projects regarding Internet browsers.
I found your project on the Internet and I looked at your Internet site
but, since I would like to have a deeper insight into your project, I would
be very grateful if you could give me some additional information about the
project history and the reasons that made you choose to start this kind of
project.

Besides, I was wondering if you could briefly answer the following questions:
1. How many developers/project members were there at the beginning and how
many are there now?
2. Who is the project leader? Was he/she the project leader from the
beginning or was there a previous one?
3. How important are "face to face" interactions for the development of the
project? Or is it mainly based on "computer mediated" relationships?
4. Is there a core team that defines specifications, requirements,
functionalities and so forth? Or do you use a more distributed approach ("a
la Debian", just to make an example)?

Thanks in advance for your precious help.
Alessandro Rizzolli