Konqy reusing and preloading

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Nov 29 13:37:02 GMT 2002

On Thursday 28 of November 2002 14:53, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Thursday 28 November 2002 13:25, David Faure wrote:
> > >  The reuse.patch one is for #27583. (Bonus points to whoever wrote
> > > startNewKonqueror() for confusing me twice before I got it right.) I
> > > hope adding new and new methods in KonquerorIface doesn't matter much.
>
> I was confused by it as well, recently :)
>
> > Great, a solution that uses findObject() - it's exactly what I had in
> > mind in my discussion with Carsten.
>
> Weeellllll, but this is still the "local" vs. "remote" option, which
> doesn't make much sense, IMHO. When I'm browsing an ftp-site or sftp,
> audiocd or something like that, I still want it to reuse an existing
> process.
>
> IMHO this is the same as kicker's "[un]trusted applets" configuration. You
> trust e.g. KonqIconView to not crash, independently of the URL it is
> currently showing.
>
> I wouldn't trust khtml tho, be it a local file or a remote one. The source
> of the data doesn't make konqueror more or less crash-prone, the data
> itself (and the component to view it) does.

 This is true. Not that it makes that much difference though. If you reuse
Konqy with icon view for another icon view, you can later switch to showing
HTML in one of the windows, so you'll be reusing KHTML. The same problem is
of course with local vs remote, but there's it's IMHO less likely it will
change.

 But it shouldn't be that difficult to change the two DCOP function I added to
check view types instead.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer