Konqy reusing and preloading

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Nov 28 12:57:39 GMT 2002

On Thursday 28 of November 2002 13:25, David Faure wrote:

> On Thursday 28 November 2002 13:01, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  Hello,
> >
> >   I know we're all busy celebrating KDE3.1 and so on :), but could
> > somebody review the two little simple attached patches?
> >
> >  The reuse.patch one is for #27583. (Bonus points to whoever wrote
> > startNewKonqueror() for confusing me twice before I got it right.) I hope
> > adding new and new methods in KonquerorIface doesn't matter much.
>
> Great, a solution that uses findObject() - it's exactly what I had in mind
> in my discussion with Carsten.
>
> It surprises me a little bit that the preload stuff needs a kded module, I
> thought a findObject() solution could do the trick here as well (looking
> for a konquerorapplication object with the "I'm the preloaded one" property
> set to true).

 You can configure it to have more than one preloaded Konqy (say, for people
with 512MiB RAM who don't want reusing of Konqy instances because of possible
crashing). It seemed easier to me to have one central point knowing the total
count than asking all Konqy instances. Also, if it will be able to reuse also
KonqMainWindow (for which I need some help), IMHO it will be easier to do the
searching for the best match in the kdedmodule. Kdedmodules shouldn't be
expensive anyway.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer