PATCH: Fix for BR#48679: Proxy options lost after switching proxy use off and on

David Faure david at mandrakesoft.com
Fri Nov 8 10:43:21 GMT 2002

On Friday 08 November 2002 05:44, Dawit A. wrote:
> > - - an i18n string is changed! Don't apply that!
>
> Hmm... I thought this was okay if the same string already exists in the same
> module/app, no ?  That string is repeated in ::showValue (....).

It must be a string that goes into the same .pot file.
I admit I haven't checked that. If you know for sure that's the case, then there's
no problem indeed.

> I found another problem however.  A shortcut conflict in KEnvVarProxyDlg.  I
> fixed it in the patch attached below, but I am sure that breaks i18n for the
> modified string as well.

Yes, so maybe better leave it (it's very late in the release process now).

> > - - textChanged() copies the text into the lineedits below. This is in fact
> > another way to 'lose' information (if you type 3 different proxies, then
> > click the "same for all" checkbox by accident, and uncheck it -> you lose
> > the settings in the two lineedits).
> >
> > kmanualproxy.diff:
> > - - same objection, it seems the patch is mostly about copying values in
> > the "same for all" case....
>
> Fixed.  Please try the attached patch.

Seems to work.

> > - - I see a good memleak fix in updateRunningIOSlaves.
> Complaint or complement ?  I presume the former.  Could not tell from the tone
> :)
No, the latter :)
However I didn't realize that this was code for the kcontrol module (and not for libkio).
So using KStaticDeleter.... is a bit overkill IMHO, but why not :)
One could have simply used a member variable, and made sure that this class
was only created and destroyed once. But let's leave it as that now.

> > - - Why does updateConfiguration delete "d" ? That sounds dangerous, given
> > that it's the object in the kstaticdeleter! I would delete (and set to 0)
> d->config instead. I'll make that change and commit that one.
>
> Hmm... I fail to see why since we set it to 0 in case of double deletion.
But KStaticDeleter keeps a pointer to the thing too, and that one won't be set to 0.
Well, ok, that's what your setObject(0) did, probably ;) but IMHO when you use
a KStaticDeleter, it should be the only one who can delete the thing, otherwise
it's getting too messy.

> On the other hand KProtocolManager does the same thing except that the object
> maintained by the static deleter has a couple of more pointers.  Should that
> be modified as well ?

Ok, now I see. Well, this proves this approach works too. I withdraw my comments :)

- --
David FAURE, david at mandrakesoft.com, faure at kde.org
http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/
Get the latest KOffice - http://download.kde.org/stable/koffice-1.2/