Java Applet problem

Till Krech till at snafu.de
Fri Nov 1 23:02:17 GMT 2002

On Friday 01 November 2002 19:49, you wrote:
> On Friday November 01 2002 13:11, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > On Mit, 30 Okt 2002, staikos George Staikos wrote:
> > >   Exactly.  maybe this really is a khtml problem.  I don't know.  I'm
> > > confused quite honestly.
> >
> > I don't know what you're talking about.
>
>   We were talking about Java games on games.yahoo.com.  They appear very
> small at startup.  It doesn't happen -all- the time though, so it's some
> sort of race I think.  Also KJava seems to freeze when exitting the games
> sometimes. Only way to fix it is to kill the browser and restart.
This is not quite right. Just go to another page which does not contain an
applet. The applet server will shut down after a timeout which is configured
in konqis java settings. The default is 60 seconds. For testing purposes and
on a not too slow machine, even 0 seconds is a reasonable value. Then, the
jvm is restarted on loading each page containing applets.
I admit however that this is not a solution. Have to find out where this
freeze comes from, why the whole jvm freezes and not only the applet thread.

> > >    This is probably something we should get Dirk's feedback on... Dirk?
> >
> > there are two problems:
> >
> > 1st) the intrinsicSize of the applet is busted and has always been.
why busted? khtml tells the applet server which size the applet shall have.
The applet server then opens a frame (which is embedded) in exactly this
size. The applet is resized to this size when it comes to life.
> > 2nd) innerWidth/innerHeight doesn't appear to return useful values when
> > we don't have a full layout yet. I guess we can return a good guess on
> > the viewport size in such a case.
The problem is width="100%" height="100%". The renderer should know the _real_
size and set the size of the embedding widget accordingly. The problem with
shellinabox is that it sometimes works and often not.

OTOH, I think that there is also soemthing wrong with the shellinabox applet.

regards, till

--
Till Krech from Berlin, Germany is happy with
SuSE Linux 8.0 (i386) 2.4.18-64GB-SMP * KDE: 3.0.9 (KDE 3.1 RC1)