katepart displays source code without konqueror knowing it

Erik Sjölund erik.sjolund at home.se
Wed May 15 12:29:19 BST 2002

> This example doesn't apply: kate doesn't claim to be able to display
> application/postscript data, so it will never get reused to do that.

In kdelibs/kate/data/katepart.desktop
under MimeType=
application/postscript is one of the types listed. I thought that
the part published its supported mimetypes there. Are they published
somewhere else?

> Not sure we're talking about the same thing. Even thinking of _one_
> image format, my point was that you can choose which viewer to use
> for it, using RMB + "preview with". Once you've done that, you might
> want to reuse the same viewer for the next image, instead of seeing
> konq switch back to the "preferred" previewer.

Ok, I see what you mean. Yes, it would be inconvenient for the
user to repeatedly choose the same viewer.

> > I think many users take it for granted that konqueror presents
> > the view of a newly typed in URL in the URL bar always the same way.
> That's the center of the question, and I'm not sure which way it is.
>
> > That the same menu appears if you right click in the presentation
> > window. The same goes for choosing a bookmark. If different kparts
> > are used, different menus could be presented. Ok, the next scenario
> > would not happen very frequently, but it might occur...
> >
> > user on a support line:
> > "Yesterday, I had this nice menu when i right clicked on this site,
> > I want it today to"
> >
> > support:
> > "Well, you have to surf to that site in another order ..."
>
> If this happens, it means the user selected "Preview with / ...."
> to get another previewer than the default ("preferred") one.
> If he does that, he'll get a different UI, that's totally expected.
> I don't see a problem here.

What I meant was the situation, where there are two different
default viewers for, let say, postscript and pdf. The pdf viewer
might be capable of showing postscript also. Let say the user has
one bookmark of a postscript file and one bookmark of a pdf file.
Whether or not the user just opened the pdf bookmark before he
opens the postscript bookmark might make a difference in the
presentation of the postscript file.

greetings
Erik Sjölund