katepart displays source code without konqueror knowing it

Erik Sjölund erik.sjolund at home.se
Wed May 15 09:27:44 BST 2002

> > Maybe, one could introduce a new entry
> > type in the desktop files, such as
> >
> > X-KDE-SourceViewer=yes
>
> Too hackish to my taste. Everyone writing a text viewer/editor
> will not think of adding that line.

Ok, maybe too hackish. Better let the application handle it.

> What other options do we have? We could check if the current part supports
> text/plain, when trying to open something for text/html - if it does, it's not
> "good enough", it's a source viewer. Still hackish, but at least can all be done
> inside of Konqueror.

Yes, that's better. But we have to look at which combinations
are to be blocked. If the current part supports text/plain and we try to
open something for application/postscript, we will not reuse the part.
That is an example of such a combination.

> The option to "always switch back to the preferred viewer for a given mimetype"
> is more generic, but doesn't sound too good to me, it prevents reusing the same
> handler that's not the preferred one..... Thinking of e.g. an image viewer it would
> be an unexpected behaviour.

If the user has good settings in the "Control Center"->"File
Browsing"->"File Manager", i.e. the same viewer is used for
similar file types, then the part would be reused if the user
looked at different image file formats. Then it would be reusing
of parts although it's the "preferred viewer"-way.

I think many users take it for granted that konqueror presents
the view of a newly typed in URL in the URL bar always the same way.
That the same menu appears if you right click in the presentation
window. The same goes for choosing a bookmark. If different kparts
are used, different menus could be presented. Ok, the next scenario
would not happen very frequently, but it might occur...

user on a support line:
"Yesterday, I had this nice menu when i right clicked on this site,
I want it today to"

support:
"Well, you have to surf to that site in another order ..."

I am not sure what my preferred solution is but this
was some more thoughts about it.

Erik Sjölund