Centralized authentication handling.

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Wed Jun 12 20:14:35 BST 2002

Hi Dawit,

I have played around with a centralized approach to authentication handling.
See kdelibs/kioslave/http/kcookiejar/kpasswdserver in CVS and the two patches
attached below.

If you try it out, make sure to restart kdeinit and to do a kcookiejar
--shutdown first.

One of the problems I'm facing is that io-slaves like e.g. the ftp slave have
a continue/cancel dialog of their own to notify about authentication
failures, but for things to work smoothly that should really be handled by
the queryAuthInfo() function in kpasswdserver. Most importantly I should be
able to pass some more detailed info about the authentication failure to
queryAuthInfo.

Imagine e.g. that 3 request are handled in parallel and all of them require
authentication, the user should then be prompted only once for the password,
and if he/she enters the wrong password only one notification should popup
about that. Most of that works quite nicely already apart from these
continue/cancel message boxes popup'ed by the slave.

Cheers,
Waldo
bastian at kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian at suse.com