action for LMB click in Konqueror

Germain Garand germain at ebooksfrance.com
Mon Jul 29 15:05:16 BST 2002

Le Lundi 29 Juillet 2002 08:12, Till Krech a écrit :
> On Monday 29 July 2002 06:41, Germain Garand wrote:
> > Le Lundi 29 Juillet 2002 00:47, Till Krech a écrit :
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I think, this is already changed in cvs HEAD.
> > > At least, text/plain opens in a separate kwrite here.
> > > OTOH, there seems to an incosistency between the filemanager settings
> > > and this behaviour. The settings of 'Filemanager=>File Associations'
> > > for text/plain, Embedding are here: 'use settings for text group' and
> > > the text group says 'show file in embedded viewer'
> > > But the file opens in a separate viewer (kwrite).
> >
> > You're right... the setting for mimetype groups is just plain ignored !
> >
> > It seems that if you first mark a mimetype to be externally or internally
> > viewed, apply the change, and then later switch it to "use settings for
> > XXX group", then it doesn't switch and just uses whatever you choose
> > before...
> >
> > I have also a problem with application/x-shellscript => it should open
> > either in kwrite or in the embedded viewer, but it simply does nothing...
>
> hmm, if it is executable, it executes. Not very nice because you don't see
> any output since shell scripts normally have no gui ;) Some installers or
> launchers are exceptions.

Damn... how dangerous ! After half an hour playing with this, I'd better check
my datas :(((

Now, wait a minute, among all the shellscripts I tested, only one was actually
executable, and all gave the same result...
Though my settings are : LMB action: open in Kwrite...

And Is one suppposed to check the +x property of a shell script before even
thinking about clicking on it ?

> I think this is a problem. There is no visual feedback and something
> happens which you are not aware of.
> According to the file manager settings, it should open in kwrite.
>
> If a shell script executes, it should at least do so in a konsole window,
> so that you see the output. Even better: ask before.

Yes !!! I didn't even thought a second a shell script could execute on click !
*strucking horror*

> Perhaps it would be good to look into an executable, if it is a native
> binary, links to libX11 and only then, execute it on click.

Sounds good ... or if it's not linked to X11, prompt a confirmation dialog...