Help:Konqueror "right-click" menu customization

leanne leanne at thizlinux.com
Tue Jul 23 07:16:45 BST 2002

Dear all,

I am sorry that I do not know if what I want to do need to modify the
source code and I do not know whether
I should post here.  Could you kindly forward to the correct mailing
list if I am wrong here. Thanks.

When opening the Konqueror, I would like to do:

1 a).  select a file, or
1 b).  select a list of files/directories

2) right-click them, a right-click menu is shown with some options.
e.g. for *.tgz there are options "Archiver", "Preview with Archiver",
"Extract here"

I want to add myself a new option "zip to ..." and submenu will be
"<filename>.zip" and "new zip".

3) after choosing "<filename>.zip", I want the file/ collections of
files and directories zipped and then opened
 with Archiver

Difficulites:
i) I can add my own new option "myoption" associated with some files
extension;
it is in /usr/share/konqueror/servicemenus/ add a file
myoptionservicemenu.desktop;
But actually I want all types of files can be zipped.
When I tried:

[Desktop Entry]
ServiceTypes=all/all,all/allfiles

I can not do what I want.

ii)How can I add my own option on the right-click menu when user selectd
a list of files/directories instead of one file?

iii) I can now create a new option when 1 file is selected and
right-clicked; how can I create a submenu
  zip -> gzip
        -> unzip
 first create "zip" and further user can select whether use gzip or
unzip (for example)?

iv) to compress the selected files and directories;  since I will
further call ark to open the zip file;
 I will write my own script to do 2 things, zip them and call ark to
open the zip file.
 So, I need to pass the names of the files and directories into my
script,  any idea?

I have searched for a while but can not get the answer, hope anybody
could help.  I want to know if I need to modify the source code?

Thanks very much.

Leanne