overflow: (Re: HTML for KMail ...)

Marc Mutz mutz at kde.org
Mon Jul 22 13:26:35 BST 2002

On Monday 22 July 2002 08:18, Vadim Plessky wrote:
<snip>
> |  Let's say it this way: For KMail, it would make things _a lot_
> | easier if <object width="100%"> would just insert a maximum width
> | frame with the
>
> I see small problem here.
> AFAIK <object> is so-called *replaced element* in HTML, so userAgent
> *reserves* some space on rendered page, than adjust size according to
> <object> (replaced element) requirement.

Exactly. And khtml fails to do the resizing. Try with an image. If that
works, try with an HTML page.

> So, correct code for case of KMail can be:
> 1) insert <object>
>   ob = document.createElement("object")
> 2) get width/height of KMail window
>  let's say, it's w_width and w_height
> 3) resize <object> according to width and height.
>   ob.width=w_width;
>   ob.height=w_height;

??? What has Kmail's window width/height to do with the space that is
needed to view an image/an embedded HTML document/an embedded
kpresenter slide/an enbedded video?

Conversely: It's not the job of KMail to guess the space needed to
display an image (replace "image" with anything of the above) and then
feed this info to khtml. That's khtml's job. KMail's job is to decode
the data and either put it into tmp files (like currently) or provide
them via an cid KIO::Slave (the perfect solution).

<snip>
> BTW: my point is that we need to fix *right* thing at a *right*
> place.

Yeah, and the right thing is to make Kmail _less_ aware of presentation
issues and let khtml sort it out. That's it's job, after all.

For an earlier discussion, please search the archive for an article by
myself, subject "My take on reader layout". That's the thread that
ultimately ended in the status frames for PGP messages begin
implemented by Ingo.

The text in the example also features a discussin on <object> in khtml,
which I therefore don't repeat here.

Example URL:
http://www.mathematik.uni-bielefeld.de/~mmutz/kmime_reader.tar.bz2

Marc