HTML for KMail [Re: khtml and table widths]

Vadim Plessky lucy-ples at mtu-net.ru
Fri Jul 19 16:27:22 BST 2002

On Friday 19 July 2002 6:19 pm, Marc Mutz wrote:
|  On Friday 19 July 2002 15:15, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  <snip>
|
|  > So, what's the problem tomake this customizable now?
|  > Just pus CSS definition you sent to me above into separate.
|  >
|  > There is a html4.css (part of kdebase), which defines Konq's default
|  > styles for HTML4.
|  > What about to add kmail.css to kdenetwork, so there would be no
|  > problem with Fancy Headers customization?
|
|  <snip>
|
|  The problem is that the colors, fonts etc. are configurable. That means
|  you have to re-create the .css file whenever something changes. Last
|  time I looked, you also couldn't preload khtml with a user stylesheet
|  to override parts of html4.css, so you really need to put the css file
|  down to disk and hope khtml recognizes when it changed (also something
|  that didn't seem to work when I tried this).
|
|  The last problem is that in KMail, no single object is keeping track for
|  the config options. Instead, the config dialog and the widget concerned
|  do it both "together". That means that you have to duplicate the code
|  that creates the css file. The other option is to actually _make_ the
|  config options the property of a single object and esp. the config
|  dialog stops writing the config itself, but acts only via the config
|  manager on the config options. That's what I've done with identities.
|  It has to be done for each of the config realms that exist in KMail.
|  Then, provided khtml can finally accept a QString with a user css file,
|  we can make the transistion to html+css.
|
|  Then, there's yet another problem: Currently, each html mail can
|  override our css settings and colour the links differently. Worse, it

There is a way in CSS to use System colors.
And AFAIK Konq supports basic system colors (not all 256+ something, though)
So, Color settings from KDE Control Center can be respected via CSS rules.

|  can even change the colour of the pgp frame. Without khtml finally
|  implementing <object> usably, ie. standards compliant, ie. as a
|  replaced content/element that is resized according to it's content,
|  there's not much we can really do w.r.t. css. In fact, we might even be
|  using too much css already. :-(

Marc, thanks a lot for your comments, I fulle respect all reasons behind this
decision/current design.
Please do not take CSS off from the FancyHeaders ;-)

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)