HTML for KMail [Re: khtml and table widths]

Vadim Plessky lucy-ples at mtu-net.ru
Thu Jul 18 16:10:58 BST 2002

On Thursday 18 July 2002 6:20 pm, Martijn Klingens wrote:
|  On Thursday 18 July 2002 15:52, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  > That's simply not true.
|  > Rendering is faster when you don't use tables. And even more faster in
|  > my latest XML code (see another mail). KHTML doesn't need to apply all
|  > attributes on XML, all necessary attributes are defined in inline
|  > stylesheet.
|
|  But what use is faster rendering if your matrix doesn't look like
|
|  From:    Me
|  To:      You
|  Subject: Something
|
|  But like
|
|  From:      Me
|  To:      You
|  Subject:      Something
|
|  ?

Sorry, but this looks like the same in your mail.
I guess you use fixed-sized fonts, I use proportional.

|  Not using CSS at all is even faster, because it saves parsing time. But is
| it better???
|
|  > No.
|  > Pls check Web Accessibility Initiative
|  > http://www.w3.org/WAI/
|  > to undertsand better why tables should not be used (for visual layout)
|
|  A quick look at http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/ seems to imply they
| actually promote the use of tables for storing data. A data table has
| headers and such, clearly the way KMail uses it.

Data like
  12   45   67
  45  56   44
 67  56  99
should be stored in tables.

But please don't tell me that <from> is part of family, or <date> has same
data type as <from>
Those fileds have meaning, why you want to put them in table? (which,
supposely, has *uniform* data)

|  What they don't want, is using tables for layout, like arranging images
| and such. But here it's the structure that makes it a table, not the layout
| and hence the table is the right choice.

And *you exactly use table for layout*, if we refer to KMail's code.

|  > good point in my cod ethat you can define
|  >
|  >  left { display: none}
|  > and *get more space on screen*,
|  > *without* any re-formatting of the mail.
|  > It can make mail more readable, etc., especially on small screen, or for
|  > people with cognitive disabilities.
|
|  Sure. Set td.left { display: none } to get the same result with tables.

BTW: And you forgot about browser(s) not supporting tables.
Tables is a separate module in CSS3, browser can have CSS support and be
CSS3-compliant, but not support tables.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)