nsplugins maddness

Till Krech till at snafu.de
Tue Jul 16 02:46:56 BST 2002

Hi,
On Tuesday 16 July 2002 01:33, Koos Vriezen wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, George Staikos wrote:
> > I browsed around and reloaded about 15 times (the main page) and no
> > problems. I am going to commit Till's patch to qxembed right now.

Thanks, George. Have been working very long today. So I didn't have the time
to do it myself.

> I'm seeing it on http://www.tomshardware.com/ today. This page always
> worked before. Maybe we should recheck the qxembed/javaembed merge.

The changes to qxembed were minimal and are in CVS since weeks. The main
change was to make kjava use qxembed instead of javaembed. And this works
pretty well. I'm glad that also the nspluginviewer uses qxembed now. I'm also
glad that George is working now on the nspluginviewer which, what is my
impression, was lying around untouched for a long time. There is still a lot
of work to do to make it really work smoothly: the java plugin does not yet
load and the real video plugin may bring the plugin viewer into an endless
loop when called more than once.

We should however look indeed at the communication between qxembed, kwin (or
any other windowmanager) and the embedded window. Somewhere between these
three players must be still a race condition.

My patch will fix the problem for flashes, but, as I said, when posting it to
the list, I think more that it is a workaround than a real fix.

Some expert Xlib knowlege would be really great here. I started to make the
java thing work and I never really wanted to dive so deep into this X crap.

I thought noone would ever have to do this again, since we have this wonderful
KDE and qt now ;)

regards, till

--
SuSE Linux 8.0 (i386) 2.4.18-64GB-SMP