how Windows browsers encode URL [Re: why the % cruft?]

Lars Knoll lars at trolltech.com
Sat Jul 13 11:48:49 BST 2002

> On Friday 12 July 2002 03:37 am, Lars Knoll wrote:
> > So putting a Unicode URL into KURL, then setting the encoding to latin1,
> > and afterwards to eg. utf8 should not result in any operation that looses
> > data.
>
> I fail to see why it is so hard to set the encoding right the first time.
> You don't read HTML pages as "latin1" first and then later change the
> QStrings to correct for the fact that the encoding should have been utf8,
> do you?
>
> If you set the wrong encoding then KURL::url() will return the wrong
> result. If you continue to work with those wrong results then things will
> not automagically correct themselves after you throw them into a KURL with
> another encoding set.

I think you misunderstand me. Sure that KURL::url() returns a wrong result
with a wrong encoding. My point is more that we actually should never need to
call url() before actually sending it out over the wire in a request as it
can be an operation where we loose information.

When constructing one URL from another, we should probably use the decoded
variants so no information is lost. KURL should provide all means to do that,
so you can set arbitrary unicode strings and only when sending it out as part
of a request will it get transformed into an encoding.

Lars