KURL & KMail [Re: why the % cruft?]

Vadim Plessky lucy-ples at mtu-net.ru
Wed Jul 10 09:00:41 BST 2002

On Tuesday 09 July 2002 9:35 pm, Waldo Bastian wrote:
|  On Tuesday 09 July 2002 01:56 am, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  > On Monday 08 July 2002 11:33 pm, Waldo Bastian wrote:
|  > |  I don't know. The web-page is in ISO-8859-1 so we send in that
|  > | encoding. We can send in utf-8 but I doubt that will work if the
|  > | webserver expects iso-8859-1. Since google adds "ie=ISO-8859-1" itself
|  > | I strongly suspect that it expects to receive iso-8859-1. We can't
|  > | send utf-16 because HTTP is a 8-bit protocol, not 16-bit.
|  >
|  > ok, what about IMAP folder names than?
|
|  According to you they should use utf7, so if KMail tells KURL to use utf7
|  everything should be fine. I didn't know IMAP used URLs as part of its
|  wire-protocol btw.

That was kind of surprise for me as well, but a pleasant one ;-)
I guess you know that you can access IMAP server in Konqueror by using command
like this:
imap://vplessky@umail.ru/
(just tried it, it works! But of course you need password :-)

I have a test folder on that IMAP server, it's named 'Корзинка'
When I click on it, I have:

An error occured while loading
imap://vplessky@umail.ru/%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F/:
The file or directory imap://vplessky@umail.ru/????????/ does not exist.

To test it in an easy way, you can create local folder with Cyrillic (take one
above) or Chineese name, and reproduce this problem.
According to Michael Haeckel, some time ago KMail *could* access such folders,
but later (due to changes in KURL) something was broken.
Would be nice to know *what*, and have a fix for this...

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)