gecko embedding

Vadim Plessky lucy-ples at mtu-net.ru
Wed Dec 18 16:49:20 GMT 2002

On Wednesday 18 December 2002 09:53, Uno Engborg wrote:
|  Dirk Mueller wrote:
|  >On Die, 17 Dez 2002, Michael Levy wrote:
|  >>use dhtml and Konqueror doesn't handle those pages yet, I'd like to
|  >>switch which engine renders the html.
|  >
|  >which pages are those?
|
|  I havn't had much problem with DHTML, but the lack of
|  XML support (in browser XML->HTML conversion by XSLT)

On the other hand, CSS2 implementation in Konqueror is better than in Mozilla.
And IMHO CSS is more important than XSLT (if you really want to compare apples
with oranges...)

|  is a problem, as it becomes more and more common in
|  intranet solutions. Would a Gecko plugin handle this
|  or is this something Mozilla specific outside of Gecko.
|
|  Perhaps it would be a good idea to make gecko the default
|  engine for web browsing. Not meant as to be disrespectful to the
| developers of the KDE engine, but it seams that Gecko is far ahead now.
|  And if we don't have any good reasons, I think it is unnecessary to
|  reinvent the wheel.

There is a VERY GOOD reason why Mozilla *shouldn't be used*.
It's Mozilla's startup time & memory usage.
Mozilla is extremly slow (unless you have something like Pentium4-2GHz, or
Athlon XP 2100+), and this makes it inpractical for typical Linux Desktop.
And its 'swapping policy* makes me crazy. Sometimes you have to wait about 30
sec. to "restore (minimized) window"...

On the other hand, I have noticied that Mozilla works in Windows faster than
in Linux.
So, if you really need Mozilla for web browsing - you should switch to Windows
platform.

--

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released