Konqy reusing and preloading

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Dec 5 17:18:06 GMT 2002

On Friday 29 of November 2002 17:34, Lubos Lunak wrote:

 Ok, I want to commit the attached stuff, so please review, or I'll break your
toy ;). The attached patches include fixing #27583, making it depend on the
kind of view instead of local vs remote, and implement reusing of
KonqMainWindow instances. No reusing of the views yet, I'll try it later if
this will work fine. The time of 'kfmclient openURL' seems to be halved on
this not so slow machine, as compared to having 'konqueror --silent' running
and doing normal DCOP createNewWindow().

 Comments on the patch:
- not so many hacks actually, I'm quite surprised to managed to get rid of
most of the ones I had there :)
- no kcontrol module patch yet, but that should be a problem
- the parts allowed to be reused by default are those 6 .desktop files in
kdebase/konqueror that contain 'ReadOnlyPart' , some more to add?
- to make the already existing KonqMainWindow instance to be like a new one, I
added KonqMainWindow::resetWindow() and a flag to
KonqViewManager::loadViewProfile() that should reset all possibly changed
stuff, but I'm far from being sure I found all things - anything missing
- make sure during testing that you don't get confused by some hidden running
instance :)
- currently KLibLoader is configured not to unload shared libs, this should be
probably changed unless you want to run konqy with everything from khtml to
kghostviewpart pulled in ;)
- as this would make one konqy instance run practically for the lifetime of a
KDE session, should it exit after some time (mainly to avoid the influence of
possible leaks)?

 Erm, whatever. You've been warned, I want to commit :).

P.S. I'd be also interested if somebody with a slow machine could get a more
precise number than 'about a half' about the improvement.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org