caching-patch V0.2.1 (Was: Re: caching-patch V0.2.0)

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Tue Aug 27 19:45:07 BST 2002

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 08:36 am, Tobias Anton wrote:
> If you read it carefully, you'd notice that the patch will not cause an
> expire date be lowered by KHTML. Only raising the page's expire timeout
> takes place. Only if necessary and only if possible.

So if a page sets a timeout of 2 seconds that is basically ignored for the
images then because the expire date reported by http will very likely be
larger than that. Which makes me wonder why you propagate expire times at all
then.

====

Can you explain this change in your patch:
- -    return (difftime(now, m_expireDate) >= 0);
+    return (difftime(getAbsoluteExpireDate(), now) >= 0);

====

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 08:36 am, you write:

But on Monday 26 August 2002 07:36 am, you wrote:
> > I think that's wrong and I think the images should expire on
> > t_doc_create+t_doc_expire.
>
> Imagine a cached image that is referenced from all pages of a web site and
> all pages have a relative expire date.
>
> Browsing around will lead to strange results there, i.e. as long as no page
> is visited twice and the time between two page views is less than the
> (relative) expire time, such an image will never be reloaded.

So yesterday you say "using t_doc_create is bad because the images will never
be reloaded" and today you say "using t_img_create is good because the images
will never be reloaded".

Cheers,
Waldo
- --