Possible improvement: Java Applets in Konqi

Till Krech till at snafu.de
Mon Apr 29 00:31:26 BST 2002

Hi,

After having some problems with applets in konqi, I looked into the java code
of the kde applet server (kdelibs/khtml/java).
please have a look at this link, where you find a patch against current HEAD
and a kjava.jar to play with:

http://till.dasburo.com/kjava/kjava.html

Without the patch, the applet server loads classes, resources etc. via
stdin/stdout pipe to konqueror. Resources in jar files cannot be loaded. Some
applets crash with a ClassCastException.
With the patch, the whole code is simplified and uses the java builtin
URLConnection. It handles jar files correctly and should be faster.

The patch is far from being complete and is only tested with j2sdk1.4.0. Some
work still has to be done but I would like to hear your opinion.

greetings till

--
SuSE Linux 8.0 (i386) 2.4.18-64GB-SMP
KDE: 3.0.5 (CVS HEAD >= 20020427)