Rough draft of rendering fix.

Michael Bedy mjbedy at attbi.com
Sat Apr 27 10:44:13 BST 2002

Hi all,

   khtml (KDE_3_0_BRANCH) has a problem with it's inline wrapping code - it
only really knows how to do text. In the case where there are mostly (or
only) "replaced" objects, it does not render correctly. (Is "replaced" the
correct CSS term?)

   I dug for a while and finally found the responsible code in bidi.cpp. This
code is pretty hairy. I have coded up a first draft of a fix, but I think it
needs some discussion and code review at this time. It seems to be working
for me, but I do not have confidence that I did not break anything else.

   What this patch does:

   - Allow non-text objects to wrap:

      * If the whitespace style is not NOWRAP.
      * Or the object is the first object in a group of objects that have
        the NOWRAP whitespace attribute. For instance, in the example I
        have attached, there are check boxes and images grouped together
        inside of <NOBR></NOBR> tags. We want to allow wrapping at points that
        are not within the NOBR tags, even at points like this:
                                 ^- here.

   I don't know how better to describe it. Look in the attached html file for
an example.

   Comments?

       - Mike