PATCH: Re: RFE : auto-accept of session cookies

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Fri Apr 26 22:14:24 BST 2002

On Friday 26 April 2002 01:41 pm, Hervé wrote:
> It works perfectly well on my computer.
> The only problem now is that this parameter is hidden : I found that I
> should modify the GUI in kdebase/kcontrol/kio, but I'm really not an expert
> in KDE GUI, so it will take me more time to do it (and for the moment, the
> hidden parameter is sufficient for my personal use).
>
> Do you think this enhacement can be integrated into the official branch ?
> Can I do anything ?

First of all thanks for your patch. The problem I was struggling with so far
was how to present this option to the user in an easy to use way. After I saw
your posting on kfm-devel I wondered whether it was a good idea to just
accept non-permanent cookies _always_ but then I figured that it was probably
not a good idea to automatically accept session-cookies for e.g. banner-ads.
(or more precisely cookies from hosts other than the host of the mainpage)

This would give the following combinations:

1) session-based cookies from same host as mainpage (accept)
2) session-based cookies from host other as mainpage (deny)
3) permanent cookies from same host as mainpage (ask)
4) permanent cookies from host other as mainpage (???)

I'm not sure how to add a GUI for that that is straightforward... maybe two
checkboxes:

"[x] Accept all temporary cookies for main document." (Combination 1)
"[X] Reject all cookies not related to main document." (Combinations 2 and 4)

Then the next problem is that I don't know what the main document is. This is
usually the referrer, unless the document is a main document itself.

Cheers,
Waldo