the most slowest rendering web site

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Tue Apr 16 16:26:10 BST 2002

On Die, 16 Apr 2002, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:

> Huh?? it runs perfectly nice under the exact machine with mozilla 0.9.9 - and
> I really don't want to piss you off, Dirk...

Yes, I know. Mozilla works a bit differently - they do the alphablending in
software and cache the result. We don't do that, because its sort of
difficult to get right - you have to detect when to invalidate the cache.

Anyway, its up to the X developers to fix - because there are always cases
where you just have to do the actual alphablending and can not hide it
behind doing ugly hacks with caching and precalculation etc. Any decent
graphics card in today's use does such things hardware accellerated and
about 500-1000 times faster than anything done in software, so I really
don't see the point in adding thousands lines of clumsy code to khtml just
to work around X server bugs that they can fix by implementing the
functionality in your x server driver with maybe 20 lines of code.

Once we have no other grave problems left remind me again.

Dirk