Konqueror plugin advice

Robert Wittams robert at wittams.com
Thu Apr 4 16:52:49 BST 2002

Hello,

I am interested in making a konqueror plugin for trustable distributed web
commenting (a mouthful!).

The comments will be distributed via the giFT daemon,  http://gift.sf.net,
and thereby the openFT network.

For an idea of what this is, have a look at http://crit.org.
This system is centralized and not trustable, however.
It uses a proxy style system.

My plan is the following:

every time konqueror goes to a url:
                  1)search on gift for comments relating to this.
                  2)get gift to download the comments.
                  3)evaluate the trustworthiness of the comments (according
                      to users trust settings).
                  4)determine which part of the page they refer to
                  5)modify the display of the url to indicate comments
                  6)display the comments when the user indicates he would
                      like to see them.
                  7) allow the user to add his own comments.
3 & 5 will be continuous, ie the user may modify trust settings to make
comments appear and disappear. (similar to ratings on slashdot etc, but not
centralized. ie you make your own trust tree to determine which comments
are worth reading, from people you directly know/trust). This also entails
some crypto.

Sorry if there are docs about how to do these things, I couldn't find them,
and I would prefer not to do them in a broken way if possible.

I need to know how to do the following:
           get konq to do something on every url.
           do I/O with the gift daemon. Does this necessarily entail making
              new IOSlave?  or is it possible to use normal socket
              connections from a plugin? I guess it might be better to have
              another daemon which does all the crypto/giFT interfacing to
               ensure  responsiveness.
           modify webpage display - I presume I need to make a plugin for
               KHTML. Is it possible to directly modify the DOM tree, and
              add different display elements too? Also would need the ability
              to add different double click/right click behaviour for new
              elements.

Hopefully this is all doable within the existing plugin framework?

Rob