[Kexi] Kexi 2.9.8 released

leleu robert.leleu at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 13:53:13 UTC 2015

..

Je la 09/10/2015 13:11, Jaroslaw Staniek skribis :
> On 9 October 2015 at 12:59, Swarup <dinbandhu at sprynet.com> wrote:
>> Hi Jaroslaw, You should provide clear instructions how to install
>> these new releases in Ubuntu. It is the largest Linux distribution,
>> and therefore the largest potential base of users. But if people
>> can't upgrade to new releases, you aren't going to attract them to
>> Kexi. I have use Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and am stuck in Kexi 2.8.5 which
>> has certain very serious bugs. 2.9.8 may provide the solution, but I
>> can't access it. I've asked for help before on this, and not receive
>> any clear answers. The sense one gets is that if one's OS is not KDE,
>> then Kexi admin has no interest in you as a potential user. Upgrading
>> to new releases should be clear and easy to do, without any fancy
>> manipulations and unknown pathways. It should be just a simple click
>> away. In the absence of that, your Kexi user base will not grow--
>> certainly not the way it could.
> Hi Swarup, Sending to the list - I can't reply privately. I see what
> you mean. But resources for distributing the binaries are not at the
> side of the Kexi project curently. Let's note that the idea of "LTS"
> does not mean not long-term-support for apps that evolve beyond
> security patches. LTS just effectively "freezes" access to the
> updates. https://userbase.kde.org/Calligra/Download should be updated
> by users of Ubuntu. You can try to force your distributor to ship
> upgrade or reconsider using LTS. Please always update the page if you
> care about users of this distro. Shipping binaries in a custom
> repository ppa is a solution but someone needs to do that every month
> again and again. And test, sometimes backport. This is Linux'
> Achilles' heel. I don't know why one can need the LTS with its
> policies. Linux was about freedom, now it seems that it's clearly more
> straighforward to downgrade/upgrade Windows and still have access to
> (fresh Kexi soon). Volunteers are welcome. Please spread the word.

The situation is similar for Musescore https://musescore.org/en and
there is someone (surveys an automate) who maintains PPAs See
https://launchpad.net/~mscore-ubuntu/+archive/ubuntu/mscore-nightly Its
very comfortable for "basic" users of Ubuntu who however don't fear to
test recent evolutions of their prefered software..