[Kexi] [ideas] Google Fusion Tables - storage for Kexi?

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Sun Nov 27 14:34:17 UTC 2011

On 27 November 2011 11:57, Noli Sicad <nsicad at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> QGIS can read and write PosgreSQL (i.e. PostGIS) and sqlite (i.e
>>> spatialite files) and QGIS has a python bindiings (i.e. PyQGIS) and
>>> soon probably a javascript bindings as well in QGIS version 2 (plan).
>>>
>>> http://linfiniti.com/2011/11/more-on-qgis-desktop-web-fusion/
>>
>> This is all very interesting. It would be possible to have proper
>> integration if we have any contributor in this area.
>> Even starting with small thing would make a difference. The one who is
>> interested would decide on the future shape of Kexi :)
>
> You might be interested to read the first part, (if you have not seen
> this already).
>
> http://linfiniti.com/2011/11/fusing-web-technologies-with-qgis/
>
> I believe a lot of QGIS users will be using Kexi if there is read and
> write for sqlite3 files. Right now, they are looking for MS Access
> alternative that would with QGIS.

Here are my thoughts:
- we encouraged developers to start blending Kexi with maps [1], that
would be a starting point to the GIS world
- similarly to what has been mentioned in the context of QGIS, we want
to see good scripting features as a foundation 100s of plugins for
specialized use cases
- in the context of maps drawing custom overlays/layers is exactly
such application of script
- Qt allows to use javascript programming (build on familiar web
developer story) without a need for using WebKit browser even as a
component: the canvases (graphics contexts) can be entirely custom
- finally, if you wish to see non-trivial features for GIS in Kexi
Project, let's spread the word and we can organize the development in
2012 after Kexi 2.4 release; we clearly need you, with budget and time
since GIS, while interesting, is one of many areas in Kexi that need
investments. Joining forces can make a difference.

[1] http://community.kde.org/Kexi/Junior_Jobs/Map_Browser_Form_Widget

 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek
 Kexi & Calligra (kexi-project.org, identi.ca/kexi, calligra-suite.org)
 KDE Software Development Platform on MS Windows (windows.kde.org)