[Kexi] Re: Using and Installing Kexi

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Mon Mar 14 12:34:59 CET 2011

On 14 March 2011 12:09, Ian "Witty" Whitfield <editor at federalsaints.net> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I Developed, and am using, a 2500 Record Database - with 70 fields and 3
> graphics per record - in Open Office Base. However I am not happy with
> how Base works and would like to try to replicate what I have in Kexi.
>
> Two questions...
>
> 1) Will I be able to import all my records into Kexi from OO Base?

The simplest way is to export the data to the CSV format and import it.
You can also create tables in Kexi that mirror the design of these of
OO Base, and then copy the data using 3rd-party tools, e.g. SQLiteman
(sqliteman.com) or mysql tools, whatever you use.

> 2) - VERY IMPORTANT - How do I get Kexi installed? I have tried about 4
> or 5 times with no success!! I'm running Kubuntu 10.04 and Mint 9 KDE
> and can not get it running at all on either machine!! (I hope to upgrade
> to Mint 10 KDE very soon) I DON'T want the full Office Suite but JUST Kexi.
>
> Can you please advise how to achieve this in a step-by-step list. I
> either can't find it using the Package Managers, (even if I add the
> recommended dependencies and edit my Source List) or I got the full
> Office Suite WITHOUT Kexi or something is installed but Kexi is not
> found or available in the program list..

For installation instructions please see
http://userbase.kde.org/KOffice/Download
Your use case is indeed the expected. Properly packaged KOffice should
deliver separate packages for individual applications (e.g. for
{K}Ubuntu).
Plus a small common package shared between the applications.
If the packages are too old, please contact and ask your provider for
update - as you understand, we do not distribute the installable
packages.

Please do not leave us without any feedback on how your problems have
been solved. Updating the userbase page is always good idea.

 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek
 Kexi & Calligra (kexi-project.org, identi.ca/kexi, calligra-suite.org)
 KDE Software Development Platform on MS Windows (windows.kde.org)