[Kexi] Re: running Kexi application outside IDE

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Fri Mar 11 21:03:03 CET 2011

On 11 March 2011 19:50, Lonnie Cumberland
<lonnie at biofuelstechnologyinc.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
> I recently came across the Kexi data management application at:
> http://kexi-project.org/about.html
> and like what I have seen in the screencasts as it looks like a very
> powerful system.
> One things that I did not see in the screencasts is this. Once you have
> developed the database application as in the "Creating Photos database in 10
> minutes", how do you basically deploy the application outside of the IDE so
> that others will not be able to modify the application or table structures?
> I like the design side of Keix, but now need to ask how I can allow others
> to "RUN" the application.
> Our need is to send a small application so some of our existing clients to
> collect data into a database like MS Access so that they can send it back to
> us. At this time, we will probably not need a web interface for our users,
> but maybe at a later time. For now, we will let them download an application
> made with Kexi, enter in their data, and then send it back to us for
> processing.
> Any information or help that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,

Hi Lonnie,
Please see http://osdir.com/ml/kexi/2011-03/msg00011.html
Also 2 days ago we added --hide-menu option which hides the main
toolbar in Kexi 2.4 alpha:

 --hide-menu          Hide the main menu (the tabbed toolbar)
                           completely. A number of commands from the main
                           menu is always visible. This option is useful
                           in User Mode.

 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek
 Kexi & Calligra (kexi-project.org, identi.ca/kexi, calligra-suite.org)
 KDE Software Development Platform on MS Windows (windows.kde.org)