[Kexi] getting kexi 2.x for Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic)

Tom Metro tmetro+kexi-users at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 20:34:28 CET 2011

I'm just starting out with my first small Kexi project, and before I
start asking questions and offering suggestions, I'd like to be running
something a bit newer than the version 1.1.3 that's packaged for Ubuntu
9.10.

What's the recommended procedure for getting a 2.x package that works on
9.10?

I saw this thread:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.users.kexi/492

with suggestions on building from source and installing without a
package. My preference, though, would be to end up with a package. So my
plan is to download the source package for Ubuntu Natty
(koffice_2.3.1.orig.tar.bz2) and do a rebuild, but given all the
dependencies, I don't have high hopes I'll be able to resolve them all.

I've gotten it as far as:

dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: pkg-kde-tools (>= 0.9)
kdelibs5-dev (>= 4:4.5.2-0ubuntu1) kdepimlibs5-dev (>= 4:4.4.3)
libkdcraw-dev (>= 4:4.4.3) libphonon-dev (>= 4:4.6.0really4.4.0)
librcps-dev opengtl-dev libqtgtl-dev

which seems like it is going to require a fair bit of package
backporting to satisfy those dependencies.

Is there a better way, short of waiting until I upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10?

 -Tom