[Kexi] Relationships with kexi 2.3.3

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Jul 16 21:26:19 CEST 2011

Hi!

I want to make a contacts database with none, one or more journal entries
per contact. I tried doing with with Kexi from debian package 1:2.3.3-1+b2
and libreoffice calc from debian package 1:3.3.3-4+b1. Although I came a bit
farer with libreoffice calc I want to use Kexi for its quick startup time
and slick interface. Libreoffice calc looks quite cumbersome and bloated to
me.

My results from Kexi have been so far:

I have been able to create two tables - one for contacts and one for the
journal entries - with the necessary fields as well as a nice form for
entering contacts.

But I am stuck at how to create the relation ship between the two tables.
I would like to create a one to many relationship between contact and
journal, so that a contact can have many journal entries related to
him/her. I would like to see all journal entries of one contact on his
contact form and be able to add new ones as well as delete old ones.

I also found that Kexi tells me that it deletes table data when I add a
new field to a database. That is a big no-go for me, since I do not no for
sure which additional fields I might need. I used a SQLite database for
ease of maintenance and setup. I thought it should suffice for about
500-1000 contact entries with at least as much journal entries initially.
And more later. The laptop is fast and Digikam fares just fine with its 12
MiB SQlite3 database.

My questions are:

1) Can Kexi currently be used to have a many to one relation ship between
two tables contacts and journal? If so, can you give some hints on how to
achieve it?

2) Can I have journal entries be addable, editable and removable from the
contacts form? If so, can you give some hints on how to achieve it?

3) Is it possible to add new fields or remove existing ones without loosing
all data in that table? Adding a new field should be lossless, removing an
old one should one have its content deleted from all records. If so, can
you give some hints on how to achieve it?

Many thanks,