[Kexi] Re: koproperty/koreport: sizepolicy and expanding fields

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Wed Apr 27 09:31:16 CEST 2011

On 27 April 2011 09:07, Dag Andersen <danders at get2net.dk> wrote:
> Hi, I'm wondering a bit about the properties "Can Grow" and "Word Wrap" used
> for the field item. I don't find the functionality very intuitive so I propose
> to use a (limitied) SizePolicy property instead of Can Grow., that implements
> Fixed and Expanding.

Dag,
Adam has nice screen shots presenting the properties in real use, what
can help. This would be part of end-user (and API?) documentation too.
Regarding SizePolicy I believe it's unfortunately exactly opposite:
it's counter-intuitive in terms of end-user friendliness, even if this
is informal note:
- SizePolicy comes not only from developers world (Qt API) and it's
hard to even translate meaning of the property to some languages
without using full sentence (think: Polish);
- SizePolicy comes from QWidget world, there's no reason to harmonize
reports with QWidgets API, they differ in terms of media type and
level of abstraction.
- as for the simplicity, there is no point of having 2-value enum
Fixed/Expanding instead of boolean value Can Grow, which, by the way
is OK for someone without QWidget API knowledge (the main user base)

> Also, imo the expansion should be limited to section size. Horizontally this
> would mean page right edge.

This is very true, TODO.

> Vertically I'm not sure, sections seems not to
> have a fixed height.

Good point anyway with another side point: it would be nice to  have
"Can Grow" property for sections too, true by default.

> I have a half working solution but I'd like a go ahead to put more time into
> it.

OK please show it.

 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek
 Kexi & Calligra (kexi-project.org, identi.ca/kexi, calligra-suite.org)
 KDE Software Development Platform on MS Windows (windows.kde.org)