[Kexi] Sample database

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Thu Jun 3 01:10:44 CEST 2010

On 3 June 2010 00:42, Manfred Jung <mjung at ccm.org.za> wrote:

> I wonder if creating and documenting another sample database would be of
> interest for the http://userbase.kde.org/Kexi/Tutorials page.
>
> If that is OK then I would be willing to create one or a few. My idea
> instead of developing one full fledged database is to create samples in
> module form that show of specific features. So that new users can look up ho
> to do certain things in kexi. Nevertheless each feature demonstration would
> result in a functional database app.
>
> My first idea would be to create a switchboard type of main menu showing how
> you can open and close a number of forms and show a report.

Good idea!

> Second one would be to demonstrate a flat file database.

Please note that SQLite is not a flat file database, it's an optimized
file database.
(in case you plan to refer to this specific feature)

> Third one would be to show a relational database. Illustrating how one can
> select records from a related table and link them to the main record.
> Then a drill down feature
> etc.

Good one.
As for 2.2., just please note that this is only possible using query
(and results are not editable for now).
Filters aren't present nor subforms.

> I would be willing to do this with step by step documentation provided that
> where I need help I can write to the developers for help. This is specially
> true if for some unknown reason Kexi crashes at a particular point in a
> reproducible and predictable pattern. Or when there is just no documentation
> about a feature yet that would be part of the database and I need to get the
> info to actually complete a particular step.
>
> Now I know the developers are quite busy and my intention is not to tie down
> their creative time. there fore I would keep my requests to an absolute
> necessary minimum.

You can keep the intermediate result of your work on the wiki, as it's
the goal of the site :)

PS: cc'd to kexi at kde.org, you can continue to write there too so
others are informed.

 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek