[Kexi] Re: Calculated fields in kexi

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Wed Dec 8 09:22:54 CET 2010

On 7 December 2010 14:27, msjs08 <msjs08 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not sure about adding it as a bug in kde.org. It is not really a
> bug, it is a missing, essential facility. It was available and easy to
> set up in Paradox as long ago as 1992. For me it should have been
> included in Kexi right from the start. By the way,  OO Base does not
> have it either.
>
> If you really think that I ought to put it on a wish list I will do so.
>
> Neil Winchurst

> Hi Neil
> Yes I'm finding it frustrating on Linux too.
> I have not made many databases.
> I've spent a good bit of time looking for an Access replacement
> My beef is that you can't have more than one field as a primary key,
> something I could do with a 13 yr old copy of Access. If Access would run
> under wine, I would use my old piece of software.
>
> I spent a week solid looking and downloading and playing and dumping.
>
> I've looked at
> kexi
> base
> glom.sourceforge.net
> http://www.zwartberg.com/cave.html
> http://xataface.com/
> http://www.sqlpower.ca/
> http://www.webyog.com/en/sqlyog_feature_matrix.php
> http://www.radicore.org/
>
> The last one seemed by far the most powerful but I don't have any money
> right now so I'm at a point where I will have to make the time to learn php
> and SQL.
> Your situation could also be fixed with javascript, php and MySQL or
> Postgres.

That's true at the moment, writing logic in many cases currently needs
these lower-level tools if you decide to use open source solutions.
Regardless at what operating system we look.

 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek
 Kexi & Calligra (kexi-project.org, identi.ca/kexi, calligra-suite.org)
 KDE Software Development Platform on MS Windows (windows.kde.org)