[Kexi] Re: Calculated fields in kexi

msjs08 msjs08 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 14:27:47 CET 2010

> I am not sure about adding it as a bug in kde.org. It is not really a
> bug, it is a missing, essential facility. It was available and easy to
> set up in Paradox as long ago as 1992. For me it should have been
> included in Kexi right from the start. By the way,  OO Base does not
> have it either.
>
> If you really think that I ought to put it on a wish list I will do so.
>
> Neil Winchurst

Hi Neil
Yes I'm finding it frustrating on Linux too.
I have not made many databases.
I've spent a good bit of time looking for an Access replacement
My beef is that you can't have more than one field as a primary key,
something I could do with a 13 yr old copy of Access. If Access would
run under wine, I would use my old piece of software.

I spent a week solid looking and downloading and playing and dumping.

I've looked at
kexi
base
glom.sourceforge.net
http://www.zwartberg.com/cave.html
http://xataface.com/
http://www.sqlpower.ca/
http://www.webyog.com/en/sqlyog_feature_matrix.php
http://www.radicore.org/

The last one seemed by far the most powerful but I don't have any money
right now so I'm at a point where I will have to make the time to learn
php and SQL.
Your situation could also be fixed with javascript, php and MySQL or
Postgres.

Databases on Linux seem to be pretty basic if you want one that requires
little learning.
Serious database writers learn to do it from the command line.
There appears to be nothing in between.  ... yet!

Hope I can save you some time in your search.

Cheers
Max