[Kexi] Kexi vs. FileMaker

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Wed May 20 15:11:46 CEST 2009

2009/5/20 info@{...}:
> Hello,
> I'm new to the Linux world and I find it fantastic... most of the time.
> I've been looking around for a way to use FileMaker on Linux (Ubuntu,
> Debian, Fedora).
> And I read about Kexi. Is it possible for Kexi to open or import FileMaker
> files? And If not, can I cross may fingers and hope it will do so soon?

Hi
There is no such filter, and the authors of Filemaker apparently
developed really proprietary format...
Yes, you can cross your fingers but you really have to have big fingers :)

The easier start would be to look at possibility of export (or even
share) only _data_ from Filemaker. We have not that many users of
naive Mac around yet (but yes I know Filemaker also works on Windows).
Spreading the word about Kexi and actually using it for projects
started from scratch would increase user base and thus increase
chances for existence of more export tools.

 Kexi & KOffice (http://www.kexi-project.org, http://www.koffice.org)
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek