[Kexi] A question in designing a Kexi application

Jaroslaw S kexipl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 21:23:17 CEST 2009

2009/6/17 scott <svetter at ameritech.net>:
>   Just had a thought about designing a Kexi system:  Is it possible to
> implement a sign-on/sign-off system?  My thoughts about this are:
> 1) Have a Kexi database with a user id, password, user's initials, and
> an authority level.
> 2) The user's initials and the authority level would be passed to other
> Kexi screens.
> 3) The user's initials could be presented on each screen.  (But how?)
> 4) Each screen has an authority and the screen authority would be
> compared against the user's authority.  If the screen authority is less
> than or equal than the user's, the user can proceed.  Otherwise the user
> is prevented to the screen and an error message given.
> 5) Also, as a side thought, can certain fields be prevented from being
> displayed?  Also, a field can be displayed, but not altered?

Scott,
This algorithm may work for databases that are separated from full
user's access.
This means databases consisted of a .kexi file can be easily
compromised (just as on MS Access).
As for the question if Kexi currently allows to implement the above
method, I'd say: no.
I think is needs intervention of developer, e.g. to create a plugin
that lets you to set up your authorization methods (also probably with
optional KDE Wallet support).

 Kexi & KOffice (http://www.kexi-project.org, http://www.koffice.org)
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek