[Kexi] Merge data from Kexi to KWord

Jaroslaw Staniek js at iidea.pl
Mon Feb 11 10:12:04 CET 2008

John Jason Jordan said the following, On 2008-02-11 07:37:

> I can't get it to work.
>
> I go into Tools > Configure Mail Merge > Open Existing, and in the
> popup I select Qt-SQL Source (power user) - which is the only choice -
> and then I click on OK.
>
> This gives me another popup asking for Hostname, Driver, Database name,
> Username and Port. I enter the name of the computer (Devil7), leave the
> driver at QMYSQL3 (the only option), drag the database file from
> Nautilus into the Database Name box (the filename appears correctly),
> enter my username (jjj), and leave the Port at "default."
>
> When I click on OK, I am prompted for the password, so I enter the root
> password. And then I get "Can't connect to MySQL server on
> 'Devil7' (111)."
>
> I suspect that putting "Devil7" in the top box is wrong, but I can't
> find anything in the Help files that explains where to tell KWord to
> look for the file. The file is right here on the same computer as KWord
> - not on a networked server somewhere.

IIRC, this feature has been added long before Kexi appeared.

Kexi's is not QtSQL-based, the KWord's feature is not dependent on whether the
database was created usign Kexi or not. Your problem can be related to
connection itself. Why do you use nautilus in the procedure or enter uppercase
computer name? Try entering IP address or locelhost if the database is put on
the same computer.

and try to test:
mysql -h {IP} -u root -p

> Can someone give me a step by step for how to get KWord to merge data
> from a Kexi database file?

Exprort to CSV from Kexi, then paste or insert the file. Kexi also ofers a
Python plugin for exporting tables to html, which could be imported too.

For Kexi 2 there's a plan for more direct embedding of query results in other
KDE apps.