[Kexi] How to import to kexi from OO Base?

Dinbandhu dinbandhu at sprynet.com
Thu Apr 24 02:38:35 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 02:04 +0200, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:

> >> Is this required field?
> >
> > Yes, it is a required field. And you must select one of the given
> > options.
> >
> > 3.5.6 was not actually one of the options, though. One option was
> > "versions prior to 3.5.6", and then the next option was "3.5.8", and
> > then there were more recent version options. But 3.5.6 itself was not
> > listed. In that scenario it was not clear which I should choose, so I
> > selected "versions prior to 3.5.6" because what I have is not "3.5.8".
>
> So try to cheat, as the report apparently does not depend on anyting new in
> 3.5.8+....

That worked. I moved ahead, and upon my entering a brief description of
the bug, it offered similar previously reported bugs-- and I found that
indeed it is already reported. Here below is the bug as reported
10/28/07:

Bug 151478: import table rows get shifted when a date/time field is NULL

Version:           1.1.3 (using KDE KDE 3.5.8)
Installed from:    Ubuntu Packages
OS:                Linux

1. take a csv file with '2007-10-28 20:55:13' -like date/time values in
some columns
2. use import table from the file menu
3. import is successful
4. check the last colums: in rows where the date/time values are NULLs,
fields got shifted to the left.

Independent from csv separator character.
Independent from quoting the fields in the csv.

If developers contact me I send a sample csv file that triggers the bug
- I don't intend to upload the file here.

Opened:2007-10-28 20:58 Product:kexi Component:general
Version:unspecified Status:UNCONFIRMED Platform:Ubuntu Packages
Reporter:BORGULYA Gábor Assigned to:Jaroslaw Staniek Votes:20 (vote)

It appears above that the bug has been "assigned" to you.

I added the below comments to the bug's comment area, for further
clarification of my own experience with this bug:

-------------

Upon attempting to import a table of type .CSV as described in this bug,
the table to be imported is correct as seen in Kexi's import preview
view, but incorrect after the actual import is done.

There are three errors I have noted on import, which are not present in
Kexi's import preview view:

1. Each column's data type is correct in preview view, but all the
columns of type "date" became converted to type "text" upon import.

2. Columns of type boulean (i.e. check box yes/no), get treated on
import as being "floating point number". In the preview view as well,
this is the only column which had a questionable data type. In the
preview view, for data type there is no option for "boulean". The
preview view had interpreted my boulean columns as being of type
"number", because in the CSV file exported from OO Base, all the
checkboxes in the boulean column had been converted to either "0" or
"1". So I allowed the preview category "number" to remain, and on import
it was seen to have been categorized as  of type "floating point
number".

3. I have the same experience reported in this bug, that null cells of
type "date" get filled in by moving data from columns to the right, so
that all the data ends up in the wrong cell and the wrong column. (But
for some reason this does not carry over to  succeeding rows. That is,
the data starts correct on each row, but as soon as an empty cell is
encountered it gets wrongly filled in by data to the right in the same
row, thus making all the data in the rest of the row incorrect. (i.e. in
the wrong column).