[Kexi] Question about majors of libkexisql2

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Sun Nov 18 18:46:36 CET 2007

Thomas Zander said the following, On 2007-11-18 18:19:
> Hi there,
>
> thanks for packaging koffice2 alpha :)
>
> On Sunday 18 November 2007 17:07:44 you wrote:
>> i am packaging Koffice 2 for mandriva and there is a little problem with
>> current koffice2,  libkexisql2  have the same major that koffice 1.6.x.
> []
>> Is it possible to increase  libkexisql2 major ? ( from libkexisql2.so.2
>> to libkexisql2.so.3 )
>
> The libs are private to kexi, so this is not going to be a problem. Please
> go ahead with this change.

yes, you can do this

> Notice, btw, that it would be easier to just ship all this library with
> the other kexi libraries and let rpms depend on the normal kexi libraries
> instead.
>
> CC-ing the Kexi maintainer;
> Jarosław,
>
> didn't we agree on IRC a month or so ago that its actually more useful to
> use the platform sqlite installation instead of providing your own?

Only if by platform you mean KDE's sqlite. I've mentioned many times that
there is no platform sqlite except on newer Macs.
Even then, we'd need more work than just changing a line in a cmake file
because sqlite is BIC format. SQLite is unusual in terms of version numers.

Think about this issue like about switching from .zip containers to .7z or
.rar in KOffice2 - you woudln't do that.

> It would be useful to do that as soon as possible so we can just avoid
> this packaging problem altogether.

If that's only about sqlite2, forget it. I am going to completely drop support
  for this ancient format - anyone who used it, was user of the first beta of
kexi 0.x, and obviously could use migration tool to witch to sqlite3.