[Kexi] Help with linked lists

Jeremy Johnson jazz_johnson at verizon.net
Wed May 9 02:52:56 CEST 2007

Does anybody know of a tutorial or example of using linked lists in kexi with
postgresql?

I'm trying to design a database which would be made easier if
some fields could be linked lists. A trivial example would be a field for
telephones which would be a null-terminated list of phones, e.g.:
Work->Home->Cell#1->Cell#2->Pager->Email->Voicemail->NULL

So I'd like a TABLE called Phone_List:
PK     id     child_id    Phone           TYPE
1        1                2     787-1234    (Work)
2        2                3      787-4321   (Home)
3        3         NULL      787-1111   (Cell)
4        4               5       787-2222   (OvalOffice)
5        5               6      787-4444    (Cell)
6        6         NULL     787-5555    (Pager)

And I'd also have a table for Person:
PK     id       Lastname   Firstname   Telephones
1        1        Doe              John              1
2        2        Bush           George         4

Of course I don't want to have to edit these Phone_List and Person tables
by hand. I need to create a form in Kexi which would allow me to to just
type in the telephone numbers on a CONTACTS form,
and kexi/python/ruby/postgresql would take
care of making sure that every telephone number had a correct child_id or
NULL. And I also need a method to remove a phone number (or if I delete a
person I need to delete all the telephone numbers for that person).

THANKS for any ideas.