[Kexi] Changing the name of a field

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Thu Jul 12 09:03:09 CEST 2007

Anne Wilson said the following, On 2007-07-11 21:50:
> On Wednesday 11 July 2007 08:55:27 you wrote:
>> Anne Wilson said the following, On 2007-07-11 08:19:
>>> Is it possible to change the name of a field in an existing table without
>>> losing the data?  I'm trying to work from some old tables and a good deal
>>> of reorganising is in order.
>> Anne,
>> This has been already answered: [1], found using the list's search tool and
>> "field name" keyword.

>> archive[2].
>>
>> See also threads relarted to "add column" and "delete column" functions for
>> kexi file format [3], [4].
>>
>> [1] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kexi&m=116940910827696&w=2
>> [2] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kexi&r=1&w=2
>> [3] http://lists.kde.org/?t=116534497900005&r=1&w=2
>> [4] http://lists.kde.org/?t=116795104700003&r=1&w=2
>
> Thanks for the liniks.  I'm puzzled, though.  I'm using 1.1.2 on Mandriva
> Spring.  You say
>
> <quote>
> After changing the caption, click on 'name' property listed in the property
> editor, and click on the "revert" button on the right hand. The field's name
> will be reverted to the original value, without affecting the current value
> of 'caption'. You can do that for as many fields as you want.
> </quote>
>
> Where do I find this 'caption'?  I assume it is in the table's design view?  I
> seem to have Name, but no Caption.

Caption in other words is called "title", and it is exactly the value of the
second column of the Table Designer. In turn, the Property Editor contains
"name" property - the one you can should revert to the previous value.

Of course the workaround I provided means that in queries or any place where
data source field is involved, you still have to deal with old (original)
field names, what can make the overall project hard to understand after a while.

A full name altering is in development for Kexi 2...