[Kexi] decimal places

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Sun Jan 7 16:55:10 CET 2007

On Thursday 04 January 2007 23:47, wayne wrote:
> How does one format the number of decimal places that is displayed in a
> floating point field in a form? I can't find where to configure that.

Wayne,
Unlike in table view, form input fields have no "visible decimal places"
implemented yet. I will try to add this for 1.1.2.
Current behaviout is that if you enter an integer value, no decimal separator
and zeros will be displayed (while for table view it can be set up to display
trailing zeros).

> Also, how does one determine if a floating point number is single or double
> precision when using the "ksqlite_add_column" script? It can't be changed
> once it's created.

The default subtype of the floating-point type is double precision. I'd
suggest to always keep this (for current hardware it's not a problem I
guess). Then you'll get good precision like 12.4 is just stored and displayed
12.4 and not as 12.3999996185303 (the case for single-precision subtype).

Moreover, for the SQLite engine (used for Kexi files) single- and double-
precision is stored without distinction - only Kexi itself performs rounding
with lower accuracy for single precision case.
Other engines like mysql, postgresql have distinct single and double
precision, and that's the reason for offering these subtypes in the Kexi GUI.

Thus, if you keep using double-precision all the time, there will be no need t
change the column type.