[Kexi] Group BY and Join

Jaros?aw Staniek js at iidea.pl
Tue Jan 2 12:21:58 CET 2007

smika said the following, On 2006-12-31 15:29:

> I know that it is not possible to use the functions Group BY and Join. But
> is there an other command (code) to do the same?

Hello,
Regarding JOIN - yes, you can use WHERE. If you use Kexi files, WHERE clause
has similar or identical effect (unless you need outer joins). Example:

SELECT * from cars, persons WHERE cars.owner = persons.id;

If you use the visual design view in Kexi, joining any of two fields will
create a single "A = B" expression within the WHERE section.

Regarding GROUP BY - there is no equivalent of this. Currently (1.6.1
recommended), you can sort by multiple columns - using ORDER BY or in the
visual designer, what makes the results a bit more structured, but without
real groupping and computing totals.

Since Kexi databases are real, you can find useful using external tools,
anything that can connect to SQLite or MySQL or PostgreSQL to get real
groupping and (for example) reporting features. For users convenience we've
got published a list of database-related tools:

http://kexi-project.org/wiki/wikiview/index.php?RelatedProjects

> Is there someone that can tell me when version 2.0 will be released?

The goal is to release this year. The first release will be probably marked as
alpha or beta and will have similar functionality to the last release in 1.6
series. Thus we get solid foundation for further feature enchancements.

Kexi 2.0 will be released within KOffice 2.0, so Kexi is somewhat affected by
KOffice release schedule. KOffice 2.0 has an unofficial roadmap published:

http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=KOffice2/Roadmap