D14486: Update to current mdbtools

Jarosław Staniek noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Jul 31 12:26:27 BST 2018

staniek added a comment.

  In D14486#301205 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D14486#301205>, @piggz wrote:

  > A few questions, in the interest  of keeping our downastream happy, and potentially reducing our burden
  >
  > 1. do we carry patches ontop of mdb?
  > 2. how much work would be neded in adding a switch to use the system lib? --I know this would initially be a little work, but could allow a phased approach to using the system supplied lib over time, as packagers choose.  If after 1-2 years, all packagers are onboard, we could then make it the default and remove our version of mdb, and the need to maintain it.

  Thanks for stepping up Adam. I am not sure if:

  1. mdbtools carries version information .
  2. It even does not maintain cmake module.

  This work is needed in mdbtools itself. And we have no evidence there's any other consumer apart of KEXI that uses mdbtools via cmake.

  If above bits are supplied and maintained, we could allow exact version of "system" mdbtools. Exact because it's the only one I test.

  IMHO it's more effort and risk than benefit, from history I remember that distros can:

  - skip mdbtools if we set it optional -> KEXI lacks major feature
  - skip KEXI if we set mdbtools required -> KEXI looses, for packagers it's "just" one release less

  Because I am all for seeing any contributions please go ahead to discuss[*] and contribute 1. and 2., then we can have opt-in "system" mdbtools support.
  We would keep mdbtools mandatory (as long as glib and iconv is present).

  Discuss[*]: your challenge would be that mdbtools is consisted of things orthogonal to MDB support KEXI needs: importer tool, exporter tool, SQL support. Whether that project will let you contribute just cmake files for the MDB C API for the read support is not clear. So there may be more work than KEXI needs.

REPOSITORY
  R71 Kexi

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D14486