D14486: Update to current mdbtools

Jarosław Staniek noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jul 30 20:48:29 BST 2018

staniek added a comment.

  Qt5 and KF5 are regularly and widely released general purpose development toolkits, which is more than enough for the needs of applications developers. If, on the other hand, KEXI had been built on top of GTK+ instead then GTK+ (or its critical  parts) would have been forked here by the time already (or abandoned like for GCompris) to still keep  cross platform support, especially on Mac/Windows.

  I do not know if you perceive "LTS/Debian-stable is not a long term support offering but long term only-release-security-patches offering" as a FUD but I wanted to assure I so not say for any other reason than to show you my perspective, author who releases version 3.1 and deal with users preferring "stable" distribution with KEXI 2.8 or 2.9 long unmaintained.

  Thanks for supporting KEXI packages :)

  PS: I am not fully sure KEXI packages are other than Windows, actually tested before the release. To ensure that for every release I would have to employ full time developer who writes tests for distributors to make sure depending packages work as we expect. Also have dozens of OS images around. I do know reports that KEXI does not start or support any database backend due to database drivers not found. All this is not your fault but definitely fault of distributions not being able to integrate. How in this situation application developers have to be urged to integrate codebase to a single when distributions do not share the same mind set?

  Workaround for that would be AppImage distro on which I have spent quite a bit of time and found no contributors who would continue that. So the focus turned to Craft.
  Both these approaches have control over the mdbtools distribution so how mdbtools is distributed is irrelevant there, it is packages by the KEXI project after all.

REPOSITORY
  R71 Kexi

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D14486