D14486: Update to current mdbtools

Jarosław Staniek noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jul 30 18:36:02 BST 2018

staniek added a comment.

  In D14486#300823 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D14486#300823>, @pino wrote:

  > Instead of updating the embedded copy of mdbtools, why not just switch to an external/system copy of it? This way tasks like T1361: Update to current mdbtools (July 2018) <https://phabricator.kde.org/T1361> will not be needed anymore (and your distro packagers will be happier).

  Hi Pino, we're getting such questions from time to time. mdbtools, as a great project that supports obsolete MS tech (according to MS itself), it is not mature (or widely used) enough to be versioned properly, separated to functional nonGUI/GUI parts, have BC in mind, all what's requirement of proper packaging. We're not eager to see KEXI depending on GTK+... glib is enough issue.

  To show you there's no lack of motivation, it was just recently that sqlite got convinced (by me) to version properly), and KEXI switched immediately to packaged version, yet still sqlite is (by design) configurable at build time so the more of it we use the more is probable we would come back to our copy...

REPOSITORY
  R71 Kexi

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D14486