[Kexi-devel] Kexi namespace for Kexi Breeze icons? "table" term

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sun Dec 13 18:05:49 UTC 2015

Hi,

looking at the proposed new names for the icons as used in Kexi code, some of
them might need more context.

>From what I understood, the plan is for Kexi to not rely on any installed icon
theme, but provide any icons itself.
And the plan of the Breeze icontheme developers is to have each and every
Breeze icon as part of the official Breeze icontheme.

Which will mean, that Kexi codebase will contain copies of the respective
icons from the Breeze icontheme. Correct?

PREVENTING NAMING COLLOSIONS OF ICONS

For the icons kept in Kexi the icon naming only needs to be unique within
Kexi. But for the icons in the Breeze iconset, naming needs to be done more
carefully as all icons are in the global naming space.
The icons added to the Breeze iconset for some apps have been simply
namespaced by prefixing them with the app name (like "labplot-" or
"kdenlive-"). So the same could be done for Kexi as well ("kexi-").

Prefixing by app name though makes reuse by code from other apps less
appealing, at least that naming makes them seem specific and less general.

Is this the plan here with Kexi icons as well? At least for the start? Just
asking, so we know what we need to care for with the names.

If the plan is to make the icons general instead, so other database-centric
apps/modules would be invited to use them as well, then please read on:

"table" AS TERM IN Kexi-SPECIFIC ICONS

For a consistent icon look, the "Kexi Table Actions" have comments 'Uses
Kexi's "table" icon'. Which makes sense to me as well.

But at the same time the proposed icon names use the term "table". Which poses
a problem, as "table" is already used as term with many existing icon names.
Which are very possibly used already for all kind of tables e.g. in rich
texts, spreadsheets or formulars. Like "delete_table_row" got the proposed new
name "edit-table-delete-row", which already exists in the Breeze iconset. That
icon is not based on Kexi's "table" icon. And possibly also should not, being
a more generic table and needing to be consistent with the other existing
"table" icons.

What about using the term "db-table" or "dbtable" instead of "table" with the
database-specific icons?

Cheers
Friedrich