[Kexi-devel] Why I love(d) Krita to be part of Calligra (was: Re: After 2.9.7)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sat Aug 29 20:41:24 UTC 2015

Am Donnerstag, 27. August 2015, 09:57:32 schrieb Boudewijn Rempt:
> For Krita, and I hate to say this, it probably makes sense to fork our
> shared libraries. The office-apps maintainers can then strip out all the
> krita-specific stuff, and for Krita, we can strip out the stuff that only
> makes sense for office applications.
>
> I also think that it makes sense for Krita to integrate the karbon plugins
> and tools, and maybe the karbon filters. I honestly don't see any future
> for karbon as a separate application. You cannot build a good vector drawing
> application without a dedicated maintainer, and Karbon has been officially
> unmaintained since April 2013 already.

Oh dear, for quite some time I have feared this proposal to happen, to split
off Krita + fork off shared libs into an own project and repo. Sadly I could
not collect enough arguments why that would be an insane idea and only that.
>From a pragmatical point of view, I see more advantages than disadvantages as
well for all parties, if I am honest, given the current interest of all people
involved in contributions. There are more and more who only are interested in
one app and not the whole Calligra suite, which is just reality and thus fine
and nothing to blame someone for. And if one only has interest in one app,
shared goods with other apps cannot be dealt with in the needed manner.
((Ideally those people should be made interested in the whole Calligra suite
:) But given the current state of most apps that's a mission to fail sadly
currently))

But: such a split would conflict a lot with my motivation for why I have
joined the Calligra project and spent quite some time on mainly cleaning up
Calligra code so far :(

I have been appealed by the vision of a component-based system, where one
potentially could assemble a custom UI per usecase and create rich composed
documents with all kind of content. Like I could when I was a kid and blank
sheets of paper were what I had as canvas, and the working shell was by my
real-world desktop setup. E.g. with pencils and stickers always in reach on my
private desktop, depending on my mood of the day, to do whatever mix of
content on the sheet of paper as I liked.

When then I had my first computer, I was mainly attracted by the virtual
sheets those enabled. Where things could be undone or reshuffled (no need to
restart with a new sheet when some text line mistakenly hit the sheet border
too early or had a typo or when some item was forgotten in the structure and
no more space was available).
I loved Geoworks, Amipro, and especially Corel Draw, as those gave me many of
the composing freedoms one had with a real sheet and then all the amazing
options coming with virtual objects. (And I miss them, so far I found no real
FLOSS replacement)

Writing reports during education and work I experienced additional challenges,
how to best do big structured documents and also automatically integrate
things generated from data, like calculations, diagrams, graphs or tables.
Doing this with the wordprocessors available to me was not easy, escaping to
TeX (or Lyx) only satisfied me to a certain degree.

Which is the other aspect of Calligra that appealed me, having Kexi, Sheets
and a report generation library as part. So I envisioned one day this should
end up with being able to have not only classic line & bar diagrams, but e.g.
whole flow charts being generated, with custom shapes dynamically powered by
data from databases or cell ranges in sheets.
One would edit the database table in some UI made from Kexi components or some
cell ranges in a UI made from Sheets components and see the document update in
realtime. Perhaps even be able to sync changes back from the shapes (e.g. when
resizing some element interactively). (Actually I kept Plan alive for now
mainly for the reporting stuff, to have another use case around).

Connected with this, I also share Jarosław dream about document-wide
theming/styling, where all components in the document are bound to the same
styling system, and any custom component plugin could link into it. So e.g.
colors and fonts in diagrams would be coupled to those of the complete
document, for a consistent look.

Next, when I wrote the print exporting functionality in Okteta, a hex
editor, I would have liked instead to render into some document system, where
one could edit the template (think footer/header/title/styles) or and more
(actually I once did a hexeditor Shape plugin, that could at least render :)
). There are many applications which render/export content to documents, just
think of all the science app in KDE Edu, like Labplot or Cantor. But
usually with hardcoded templates. This seems poor to me, we could do better
especially in the Free and Libre Software world, where collaboration should be
easier than in that other buy-only-our-products lock-in world.

Which brings me back to Krita. So, with real world sheets I preferred pencils
(multiple kinds of) over the typewriter. And also often ignored the ruler for
lines, unless needed for math stuff. Because of the unlimited expression
flexibility and a little also because it gave the content a more personal
sketch.
So I want to be able to do the same with my virtual sheets. Do quick sketches
with a pen, highlight stuff, add some stuff just for visual fun. Disregarding
of the main type of content on the sheet. Especially now that pen-like
hardware input devices are getting more common. So I envisioned one day this
could be done using Krita components.

I would like to have Calligra as a rich content creation suite/framework. For
static content. Perhaps also for animated content, actually Stage and soon
Krita partialy are about documents with a time dimension.

E.g. something like a Pepper & Carrot webcomic should be possible to be done
completely with an app composed from Calligra components one day:
the web comic would be a metadocument, with a suiting UI shell composed from
Calligra components, with the different images as subdocuments, which could be
edited in place if wanted or edited "zoomed" in in separate UI shell made from
Krita components, with the text in the bubbles being driven by a database
controlled via Kexi components.

In my mind there is no split between "office" and other documents. A sheet is
a sheet. Multiple sheets are multiple sheets. They can be of fixed size, or,
thanks to virtual réalities, of changeable size (well, with glue and glue
strips one could also enlarge real sheets, but that never was perfect :) ).
And one can put any type of content on a sheet (or canvas).
I only see splits in workflows, depending on the main purpose of different
type of document main types. That's a matter of the presentation and
interaction layer.
But the actual document I want to be able to fill with any type of content,
always. In an integrated system, with no need to do lots of
import/export/copy/paste between multiple apps with perhaps even
data/precision loss.
And pen-based content creation is my wet dream here.

Darn. If Krita would split off, chances at least for some of my visions lower
a lot :(

Oh well. Travellers should not be stopped. If Krita wants to move on into an
own house, with own stuff in basement and attic, their choice.
There is only one way to get them back: make Calligra a palace with greater
stuff in basement and attic. And in the sheds. And with a pool ;)
Each summer and winter we will make a party and invite them. And show off...
until they move back and together we then make our palace even greater :)
(hm, suddenly not sure those mushrooms were all of the same kind...)

For now I look forward to get the port of Calligra to Qt5/KF5 finally
completed, so I could check off this as done and turn to continue all the
refactoring branches I started for further cleanup of things in the libs I do
not like too well (e.g. splitting kostore out of koodf, almost completed in a
branch, and also rewriting kostore for more convenient use).
Next on my plan then is joining the Words developers a little to fix up all
the text features which are currently rather broken (e.g. variables), then
work on better support for text structure management, until Words works good
enough for my daily real world text editing needs. Then I would go for fixing
SVG support, as I also need/want that.
And in the meantime also play around more with a lib I started which should
allow to merge KReport and Flake or at least serve as shared base lib to both,
as this is my biggest pain that we have two different plugin-based-object-on-
canvas systems here, with no reuse of code right now.

So, I will be busy for some time with Calligra in any case :) Just, I would
love if that involved Krita code as well.

Cheers
Friedrich