[Kexi-devel] Kexi and ODBC

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Mon Sep 18 23:50:39 CEST 2006

Fizz said the following, On 2006-09-18 22:42:

> We spoke earlier this year about ODBC and Kexi. I was considering writing an
> ODBC data source KCM module for KDE 4. similar to the one that comes with
> Windows. I have already written a Qt 3 version and I am currently porting it
> to Qt 4. I hope to have it finished before akademy. I was wondering about
> whether it would be better to have it as a KCM module, integrated with Kexi
> in some way, or both.

Hi Fizz,
The global GUI for connection sets in KCM is a nice goal. About using it by
kexi itself-- I guess it can be enough for kexi to just run a proper KCM
window (probably via a dbus interface) if user wants to configure ODBC. Kexi
itself would only touch odbc via kexidb driver.

I am interested how did you proceed with ODBC - have yo ugot a KexiDB driver,
or a separate Qt-ified code that can be reused or?

> I have not yet started the KDE 4 version, though it shouldn't be hard to
> convert the Qt 4 version into a KDE 4 version. I was wondering about what
> your thoughts were before I start. Unlike earlier this year, I now have time
> (in my spare time) for development.

Notes: I've ported KexiDB to Qt4/KDE4: trunk/koffice/kexi/kexidb in svn. In
fact this (and 3rdparty/ dir) is the only Kexi thing that compiles and works
in KDE4 for now. Other stuff waits for the end of Kexi 1.x development cycle,
late this year.

My proposal for you is to stick with KDE4 version.
BTW, do not care too much about extra-useful GUI for the module as we (at
least me) do not know yet what the guidelines for the KControl will look like.
Working command line tool(s) for testing could be nice thing too.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek